Tuesday, May 17, 2011

In a Pickle

Spring?  Autumn?  yes that right we are suffering from weather confusion.  I raced outside at 10 in my nightgown to wrap baby blankets on the grapes I planted two days ago.  I found some old buckets and covered them with those too. frantic cold and irritated yet connected to nature in a way I would not be without the garden.  This morning I got to worry about when to uncover them.  Was I leaving it too long?  was it warm enough yet?  It is chilly today not so cold that I am uncomfortable running out in my sandals to hang towels on the line but if I was staying out even long enough to walk the two blocks to my son's school I would want a jacket.  Spring in Wisconsin. 

I was reading Rhonda with her post on pickled onions and decided to make some pickled Veggies and share the recipe.  I wrote the recipe down years ago and mostly just grab the spices by hand now (I suspect I use more than the recipe calls for but oh well) I really like pickled cauliflower, onions, carrots and celery and play with other veggies but I always have those.  I also did up some Brussels sprouts this time. I used to eat pickled Brussel sprouts as a kid and loved them.  So fingers crossed!!!  I know the recipe was originally Jacques Pepin by do not remember which book. 

1 cup white vinegar
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/2 T salt
1t pickling spices(Thyme, bay peppercorn, coriander)
2 dried hot peppers
2 sprigs dill
2 sprigs oregano
3 gloves garlic
veggies.



Don't they look pretty. 

As you can see I add a lot more spice that the recipe calls for, though this is 4 batches.
Cut veggie, fill a clean jar with them, boil rest of ingredient together, pour over veggies, close lid.  Wait 5 days.  They hold several weeks in fridge.  I have kept them longer, but that is me.  For the brussel Sprouts I blanched them and as the ones I had as a kid are spicy, I added red pepper flakes, extra dried peppers and to one jar mustard seed. 


Soon I will have yumminess - hope you are enjoying something yummy too! - Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment