My husband asked me what the red berries were by the porch. I went out a looked and decided they were red currants. I did not plant them. I consulted a gardening friend and the internet for second opinions, then harvested the berries. I got about two cups but wanted to make jelly anyway. Debating the idea of buying another berry to fill out the quantities I decided not to. I followed an internet recipe that basically said to heat the berries with some water to soften them, run then through a food mill then weight out the puree and add and equal measure of sugar. Off I went. Here are the results.
Aren't they pretty!
Softening on the stove.
Through the mill.
One. That's right one, beautiful half pint jar of jam.