aka how I spent my week.
Dyeing wool with acorns. A long review of the internets revealed that everyone does this differently including which part of the acorn they use about the only thing that they agreed on was alum for a mordant and equal parts acorn to wool.
Armed with this knowledge I began shelling acorns. and shelling. and shelling. and.... you get the idea. I ended up with a pound of shells. I soaked them for several hours, boiled them for an hour and let them sit over night. I boiled them for another hour in the morning and then strained out the shells (mostly...grrr)
and simmered it in alum for an hour, and rinsed it. Then I simmered the wool in the acorn water. Oh yeah, by this point my entire house smells like nutty toast and wool, I liked it, my husband not so much.
I then decided to leave the wool in the water over night in the hope that it would darken a bit. Three days of work took me from cream to light caramel.