Monday, February 22, 2016

home and family

yummy salad I made last week, with blueberries, nuts, and goat cheese.
 My husband works from home. He's job is corporate and stressful. He spends lots of time on the phone, in meetings and fixing things. Planing things and what my daddy calls putting out fires. A lot of the time he will come out of his office - a 8 by 8 room in the corner of the house which contains the only south facing window and which I painted a sunny yellow - to fixed himself lunch and he will tell me about his day. Often, I really only understand the people/office politics aspects of his day, as what he does is super technical, and there are rules about what he can and can't talk about which he honors. He works really hard, often working straight until dinner and going back in after the kids are in bed. They get good value-I think-from his work ethic in exchange for him not having a long commute or us having to move. Sometimes I find it frustrating as it often seems that just as I start to work on something he comes out to make lunch or because I would like to have the music on or whatever. Sometimes we take for granted that he is always there.
This waffle was made from scratch, by Badger, who also decorated it.
Sometimes he has to travel for work - it used to be much more often - and my house is quiet. I could play music as loud as I want. I can make the bed (he hates having it tucked) but I sleep alone. I can leave half finished projects out, but they suddenly drive me crazy. I can get lots of things done, partially because I can't sleep. We miss him. It seems the house even misses him. Everything seems harder and lonely. Then he comes home and we fly into his arms and the hard and the lonely melt away. I am so glad he is -were he belongs- home with us, in a sunny yellow room in the corner of the house and later he'll sit opposite me at the table, ask the kids what their favorite part of the day was and really listen to their answers.

He got home Friday and even yet the light seems golden. Later I'll post about the things that got done whilst he wasn't home. Some at his request.

~Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment